Road Trip: First Leg

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
-Rumi


40 degrees Celsius! We are in the middle of the Arizona desert.  It's hot.  It's dry.  I wonder where the water comes from...

After a nine hour drive from Summerland, CA, my brother, Kyle (22), sister, Kensi (19) and I have arrived at our home for the next ten days in Nevada.  Like something out of Kerouac novel, we have been reunited after years for our first road trip together in probably a decade.  This trip was a bit different though. Here's a few examples:

1.  In a role reversal, Kyle and Kensi could drive, but I couldn't. After four years plus overseas, I've lost my US driver's license and they're now the drivers.

2.  Instead of singing pop songs (although we did a little of that), we sang kirtan style with a new shruti box and listened to Rumi read by Gangaji.

3.  Instead of using crayons, Kyle was painting on canvas in the back seat.

4.  Rather than lining up hotels, we spent our time lining up couchsurfers to stay with.

Now, we're about to go into the yoga and meditation retreat with Geshe Michael--- I'm looking forward to "Learning to be Quiet".

Om Shanti






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dharma Chipmunks

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The American Desert

Home, a Growing Theme